[Biopython] PSI-BLAST

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:03:24 UTC 2016

Hi Lluís,

Something was added to the NCBIWWW docstrings as a result of
a user contribution, but I'm as much in the dark as you are about
what options if any the NCBI support for doing PSI-BLAST online:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/12

I would personally download the NCBI BLAST+ binaries and
run the command line psiblast tool (perhaps via the Biopython
command line wrapper).

The PSIBlast record you are talking about is from the plain text
parser Bio.Blast.NCBIStandalone.PSIBlastParser, right now our
BLAST XML parser and the SearchIO equivalent does not really
handle PSI BLAST.

I thought there was a recent GitHub issue about parsing the psiblast
output, but I can't seem to find it...

Peter