[Biopython] PSI-BLAST

Lluís Revilla lluis.revilla at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:45:49 UTC 2016

Hello!

I am trying to perform online a PSI-BLAST. In the tutorial there isn't any
example so looking on the help I found what I thought it was the way:

record = SeqIO.read("protein.fasta", format="fasta")
result_handle = NCBIWWW.qblast('blastp', 'nr', record.format("fasta"),
                                    service='psi')
blast_record = NCBIXML.read(result_handle)

However it returns a normal Blast record. But the object I get is not
the "PSIBlast
record " described on the tutorial with information about. I haven't found
the way to set the number of round of the PSI-BLAST (neither in the NCBI
help at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/Doc/urlapi.html ).

How can I do a PSI-BLAST?

Many thanks,

Lluís