[Biopython] biopython installation on Windows

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:59:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:

> Ken;
> Thanks for the e-mail and sorry about the problems installing
> Biopython on Windows. Unfortunately I have no experience working with
> Windows so don't have good tips for you. I'm cc'ing the Biopython
> mailing list where folks might have more experience.
>
> My general thoughts would be:
>
> - Are you using one of the Windows installers for Biopython or trying to
>   build from source? Installing with a pre-built installer should be the
>   easiest way:
>
>   http://biopython.org/wiki/Download
>
> - In general, could you provide more details about what you tried and
>   where you got stuck? The specific error messages you're seeing would
>   be helpful to provide more debugging info.
>
> Thanks for your patience getting it installed and hope this helps some,
> Brad
>
>>> Brad:
>>>
>>> My grandson will finish his degree in chemistry this semester at Northern
>>> Arizona University,  cum laude. He also will have a degree in psychology, cum
>>> laude. In his biochem capstone course he wants to use biopython to present data
>>> for his research paper.  He has applied to several universities for his Phd.
>>> He likes research.
>>>

>>> However,  he  and I have been unable to get biopython installed.  He has been
>>> using python for sometime accessing databases on the internet.
>>>

>>> I tried to install biopython on windows 7 and 8 using both 2.7.5 an 3.3
>>> versions.  And I get stopped at the same point every time.  It appears that
>>> this interpreter was built for the unix os and made to run on windows.
>>>
>>> The install script appears to be looking for an entry that does not exist.  I
>>> can run python just fine.  Bio - not so fine.
>>>

>>> So, How do I get biopython installed??  By the way,  I have read the 10 page
>>> pdf and myriad other references to no avail.
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you can render.
>>> Ken Ingham

Hi Ken,

Have you taken a look at the "Getting Started" page on the BioPython
wiki[1]? The first section says: "For Windows we provide click-and-run
installers. [...] See our downloads page for details including the
prerequisites." This is the recommended installation method. For this
method, the prerequisites are Python and Numpy.

Python: For the least amount of trouble and confusion, download Python
from python.org. (Make sure you know whether you want/need version 2
or 3 of Python!)

Numpy: This should also be installed via a binary Windows installer;
see the downloads page on scipy.org[2] for links.

For Numpy and BioPython, make sure to download installers for the same
version of Python that you have installed, as well as whether you have
a 32 or 64-bit version of Python.

Once you have Python and Numpy installed, try installing BioPython again.

Other than that, as Brad mentioned, if you can give us more
information including specific error messages then we can provide
additional assistance.

Regards,
- Tal Einat

..[1]: http://biopython.org/wiki/Getting_Started