[Biopython] Supported MacOS

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 7 19:33:28 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Sara D'Angelo <SDAngelo at salud.unm.edu> wrote:
> Hi Peter!
> Thanks for the super quick reply.
> First I installed GCC-10.7-v2 from here:

Hmm. Unless you also compiled your own Python using GCC,
then I doubt that is going to work. Mixing compilers is generally
a bad idea, and on the Apple Mac generally that means using
the clang (LLVM) compiler included with Xcode.

Did you have a specific reason to try that? It isn't what we
recommend in our documentation but if something was
misleading we'd like to know to try to fix it.

> I am downloading Xcode 6.1 now and see if that will solve the problem.
> Do you have any other suggestions?

I'd start by installing the latest Xcode, including the command
line tools, and checking they work at the command line. e.g.
This is on my Mac,

$ gcc -v
Configured with:
--prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr
--with-gxx-include-dir=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 6.0 (clang-600.0.56) (based on LLVM 3.5svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.1.0
Thread model: posix

$ clang -v