[Biopython] Nexus parsing

Tiago Antao tra at popgen.net
Mon Feb 9 13:37:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am trying to parse a (heavily annotated) nexus file with Bio.Phylo.
The file is from a paper on science
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/345/6202/1369/suppl/DC1 available here
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/2014/08/27/science.1259657.DC1/1259657_file_s2.zip
and called
trees/ebola.raxml.tree

I am able to parse this with DendroPy just fine, but not with Bio.Phylo

The error that I get is:

hdl = Phylo.read('trees/ebola.raxml.tree', 'nexus')

/home/tra/Dropbox/soft/biopython/Bio/Nexus/Trees.pyc in
_get_values(self, text) 161             if nc_end == -1:
    162                 raise TreeError('Error in tree description:
Found %s without matching %s' --> 163                                 %
(NODECOMMENT_START, NODECOMMENT_END)) 164             nodecomment =
text[nc_start:nc_end + 1] 165             text = text[:nc_start] +
text[nc_end + 1:]

TreeError: Error in tree description: Found [& without matching ]

Any ideas would be most appreciated, thanks.
Tiago