[Biopython] DOI for BioPython

João Rodrigues j.p.g.l.m.rodrigues at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 16:38:37 UTC 2015

Having all citations concentrated in one paper with all the major
contributors helps tracking citation data, which helps those major
contributors and OBF in future funding ventures. Further, a new release
does not change the entire code base, so if you were to use Bio.PDB in say
release X and Y, where there weren't any changes to this module, you'd cite
two different DOIs, which wouldn't make any sense from any point of view.

Also, Peter's paper is not *his* paper about the software. It's the entire
team, or almost, on that paper and it describes the different modules and
their purpose and functionality.

What's better: citing the paper that describes the algorithm(s) or the pull
request that fixed a typo in the documentation?

Cheers,

João