[Biopython] [Entrez/eFetch] "reasonable" package

Leighton Pritchard Leighton.Pritchard at hutton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 3 09:07:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

As Peter says, it’s probably dependent on the database/file format you want to download. I’ve had success by downloading NCBI records in batches, and keeping them in a local list, then treating them as though they were a single returned list of records.

For a recent script I used this approach to batch large result sets:

i) Wrap the Entrez search in a retry function (args.retries comes from argparse. It’s lazy not to make it a function argument - I should fix that).

# Retry Entrez requests
def entrez_retry(fn, *fnargs, **fnkwargs):
    """Retries the passed function up to the number of times specified
    by args.retries
    """
    tries, success = 0, False
    while not success and tries < args.retries:
        try:
            output = fn(*fnargs, **fnkwargs)
            success = True
        except:
            tries += 1
            logger.warning("Entrez query %s(%s, %s) failed (%d/%d)" %
                           (fn, fnargs, fnkwargs, tries+1, args.retries))
            logger.warning(last_exception())
    if not success:
        logger.error("Too many Entrez failures (exiting)")
        sys.exit(1)
    return output

ii) Wrap pulling record IDs from NCBI in batches, using the webhistory:

# Get results from NCBI web history, in batches
def entrez_batch_webhistory(record, expected, batchsize, *fnargs, **fnkwargs):
    """Recovers the Entrez data from a prior NCBI webhistory search, in
    batches of defined size, using Efetch. Returns all results as a list.
    - record: Entrez webhistory record
    - expected: number of expected search returns
    - batchsize: how many search returns to retrieve in a batch
    - *fnargs: arguments to Efetch
    - **fnkwargs: keyword arguments to Efetch
    """
    results = []
    for start in range(0, expected, batchsize):
        batch_handle = entrez_retry(Entrez.efetch,
                                    retstart=start, retmax=batchsize,
                                    webenv=record["WebEnv"],
                                    query_key=record["QueryKey"],
                                    *fnargs, **fnkwargs)
        batch_record = Entrez.read(batch_handle)
        results.extend(batch_record)
    return results

iii) Run complete query, saving record IDs to webhistory (this could at times identify thousands of records) e.g. here, record has [“WebEnv”] and [“QueryKey”] fields that allow you to recover the results later. It also has a [‘Count’] field that tells you how many total records you should expect back. In my experience this caps at 100,000 - even though sometimes there have been more records to return. I have no robust, reliable way to overcome this.

    # Use NCBI history for the search.
    handle = entrez_retry(Entrez.esearch, db="assembly", term=query,
                           format="xml", usehistory="y”)
    record = Entrez.read(handle)
    # Recover assembly UIDs from the web history
    asm_ids = entrez_batch_webhistory(record, int(record[‘Count’]), 250,
                                      db="assembly", retmode="xml")

YMMV, but I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

L.