[Biopython] Understanding pdb biopython

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 04:31:51 UTC 2014

Hi there,

The numbering in your PDB file is not continuous and it matches to regions
in the structure that are missing residues. Open your PDB structure in
Pymol and you'll see. Alternatively, print the C-N distances (peptide bond)
for consecutive residues and you'll also notice when they are larger than
~3Å it corresponds to your break.

As for your discrepancy between the sequences in the FASTA file and the
PDB, that's just because not all residues are resolved in the crystal
structure.

Cheers,

João