[Biopython] upgrade problems on Mac

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:00:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Mark Budde <markbudde at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to upgrade to the current version on my Mac, but get an error.
> I've tried the suggestions online about
>
> $ xcode-select --install
>
> but that doesn't work.

Hi Mark,

Those problems suggest that XCode itself is not installed. Since
you are running OSX 10.9 this is available for free from the Apple
App Store (but it is a large download).

i.e. You need to install XCode, *then* the command line tools by
running 'xcode-select --install', or equivalently via the XCode GUI.

Can you suggest a clearer phrasing for our instructions here?
http://biopython.org/wiki/Download

Also, since you are using enthought's Python they may offer a
Biopython packaged installation route instead?

Regards,