[Biopython] Summer of Code 2014 - Call for project ideas Re: going from protein to gene to oligos for cloning

David Shin davidsshin at lbl.gov
Mon Feb 10 14:23:58 UTC 2014

Hi all -

Just another suggestion for the summer of code project....
Going from protein sequences to gene coding regions.

With the reduction of costs associated with DNA synthesis and the advent of
"buying genes", along with more robust robotics, we are now at a time where
many are making large lists of proteins to express for biochemistry,
biophysics and structural biology. However, parsing the data available to
make choices to refine those lists and then obtaining just the coding
regions for the proteins of interest is a little daunting.

As discussed previously, finding a protein at NCBI doesn't lend readily to
getting the gene (coding region) for cloning in a readily automated
fashion. I still haven't tested the code suggested by Peter below, but this
could be cleanup project if it is broken, and or a similar project could be
started from scratch. If it seems like something you are interested, I will
test the code earlier, if that's a starting point someone would like to
pursue... though, may need to speak to the author first, not sure.

Thanks,
Dave