[Biopython] help! entrez esearch popset issue

Bartha Dániel bartha.daniel at agrar.mta.hu
Tue Feb 4 10:38:46 UTC 2014

Hi People,

I have an issue with biopythons esearch/efetch, and this drives me crazy.

If I search for something in the PopSet, like this, but the query is
arbitrary:

query = "Homo sapiens[Organism] NOT mitochondrion[All Fields]";

esearch_handle = Entrez.esearch(db="popset", term=query)
search_results = Entrez.read(esearch_handle)
accnos = search_results['IdList']

I get somehow always only 20 results in my IdList, but with the same term,
many thousands on the website. Is this a bug?

Because by default, on the website, 20 results per page are shown, and
surprise, my 20 results are equal with the first page. The biopython
documentation regarding the PopSet DB is not very talkative, so I ask you,
how do I solve this problem elegant ("python only")?

Since the same constellation doesn't cause any issues by searching in the
protein or other sequence DB, either has the PopSet DB some tricks I don't
kow or this is a BUG(?).

Regards:

Daniel

--
Dániel Bartha, molecular bionics engineer, BSc
Bioinformatician

e-mail:
bartha.daniel at agrar.mta.hu