[Biopython] Google Summer of Code 2014 - Call for project ideas

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 3 17:15:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Lisa Cohen <lisa.johnson.cohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am a new bioinformatics student and interested in working on a Biopython
> package for gene ontology and functional annotation. I've noticed that this
> is in "discussion stages" on the wiki page [1]. Perhaps working with
> blast2GO [2], b2g4pipe Galaxy wrapper [3], other existing tools [4].
>
> Is this a feasible Google Summer of Code project idea? Is anyone interested
> in working with me?
>
> Lisa
>
> [1] http://www.biopython.org/w/index.php?title=Gene_Ontology&redirect=no
> [2] http://www.blast2go.com/b2ghome
> [3] https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/tree/master/tools/blast2go
> [4] https://github.como/tanghaiba/goatools

Something based around (gene) ontology support might make a good
project. Chris Lasher was once looking at this, as was Kyle Ellrott.

On the general subject of ontologies, more recently Iddo Friedburg
and Bartek Wilczynski were talking about some OBO work just last month:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2014-January/thread.html