[Biopython] remote blast against SRA database with biopython

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 21 14:29:12 UTC 2014

I was hoping it could be done with BLAST+ and the -remote option,
but that doesn't seem to work - maybe I have guessing the SRA
database name wrong?

$ blastn -query example -db sra -max_target_seqs 3 -outfmt 6 -remote
Warning: Error initializing remote BLAST database data loader:
Nucleotide BLAST database 'sra' does not exist in the NCBI servers
BLAST Database error: 'sra' not found on NCBI servers.

And:

$ blastn -query example.fasta -db SRA -max_target_seqs 3 -outfmt 6 -remote
Warning: Error initializing remote BLAST database data loader:
Nucleotide BLAST database 'SRA' does not exist in the NCBI servers
BLAST Database error: 'SRA' not found on NCBI servers.

In terms of the Biopython QBLAST function, that now uses
http://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi internally, but does not
set the BLAST_SPEC parameter which is not officially in the
docmentation: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/Doc/urlapi.html

Either that documentation is out of date, or using this would
be unofficial... but you could try extending that function?

Regards,

Peter