[Biopython] Installation Problems in Mavericks

Mike Shaffer michael.shaffer at ucdenver.edu
Tue Apr 8 21:05:01 UTC 2014

Hello,
I am attempting to install biopython and I am getting this error.  I have
install xcode command line tools and verified that it is installed using
pkgutil.  I found some people saying that this problem was solved by
installing xcode command line tools but this didn't work.  Some seemed to
say that this was just because of the new version of Apple's complier.  Any
work arounds or tips would be greatly appreciated.  Full read out from
running setup.py build is below:

python setup.py build

running build

running build_py

running build_ext

building 'Bio.cpairwise2' extension

cc -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -g -Os
-pipe -fno-common -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -mno-fused-madd
-DENABLE_DTRACE -DMACOSX -DNDEBUG -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wshorten-64-to-32 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-DENABLE_DTRACE -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -pipe
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7
-c Bio/cpairwise2module.c -o
build/temp.macosx-10.9-intel-2.7/Bio/cpairwise2module.o

clang: error: unknown argument: '-mno-fused-madd'
[-Wunused-command-line-argument-hard-error-in-future]

clang: note: this will be a hard error (cannot be downgraded to a warning)
in the future

error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1