[Biopython] is_na()?

Willis, Jordan R jordan.r.willis at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Oct 17 11:34:13 UTC 2013

I would just get the ID of the residue and ask if it's in the standard amino acid library. If you wanna use all Bio.PDB the Polypeptide class has a three_to_one function that only contains the naturally occurring 20 AA's by their 3 letter code. Do something like:

from Bio.PDB.PDBParser import PDBParser
from Bio.PDB.Polypeptide import three_to_one
structure = PDBParser().get_structure('XXXX', 'you_structure.pdb')
residues = structure.get_residues()
for resi in residues:
    try:
        three_to_one(resi.get_resname())
    except KeyError:
        print "residue {0} {1} on chain {2} is not a standard amino acid".format(resi.get_id()[1],resi.get_resname(),resi.get_parent().get_id())