[Biopython] Versions of Python 3 to support in Biopython?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu May 30 13:13:20 UTC 2013

Thank you for all the comments so far, don't stop yet :)

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm leaning towards insisting on Python >=3.3 support (I'm running
> 3.3.2). I suppose that even if Python3.3 is not available on a machine
> or through the default package manager, it's always installable on its
> own. If that's not the case, I imagine Python2.x is most likely
> present in these machines (so Biopython can still be used).

True.

So far everyone who has replied (including some off list) have said
they are using Python 3.3 which is encouraging. Thank you for
the comments so far.

It looks like we can forget about Python 3.1, and just need to
decide if it is worth including Python 3.2.5 in the short term.

> On a related note, do we have a defined timeline on when we would drop
> support for Python2.x? Are there any plans to have our codebase
> written in Python3.x instead of Python2.x?

Nothing concrete planned, no. I'll reply in more detail on the
biopython-dev list as I do have some thoughts about this.

Regards,