[Biopython] Versions of Python 3 to support in Biopython?

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Thu May 30 16:26:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Thank you for all the comments so far, don't stop yet :)
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
> <w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm leaning towards insisting on Python >=3.3 support (I'm running
> > 3.3.2). I suppose that even if Python3.3 is not available on a machine
> > or through the default package manager, it's always installable on its
> > own. If that's not the case, I imagine Python2.x is most likely
> > present in these machines (so Biopython can still be used).
>
> True.
>
> So far everyone who has replied (including some off list) have said
> they are using Python 3.3 which is encouraging. Thank you for
> the comments so far.
>
> It looks like we can forget about Python 3.1, and just need to
> decide if it is worth including Python 3.2.5 in the short term.

I don't always use Python 3.x, but when I do, I use the latest release (3.3
now). I wonder which one PyPy will target -- I assume they'll try to
support the most recent syntax.

For anything that needs to be run on machines I don't control, I still
target 2.7, though I hope to switch to 3 this year.

-Eric