[Biopython] Request from help

Paulo Nuin nuin at genedrift.org
Thu Apr 11 17:33:05 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-11, at 1:20 PM, Eric Ma <ericmajinglong at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter and Paulo,
>
> Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated! I still have very sparse
> knowledge about phylogenies, and especially the run times needed to build
> the trees, so any new knowledge is appreciated!
>
> The sequences I'm using are full Influenza A HA protein sequences, so we're
> talking about 1700-1750 amino acids being aligned together. The multiple
> sequence alignment for 70 sequences doesn't take long - on the order of
> minutes on my laptop. It's the "feeding into PhyML" portion that, for some
> reason, takes a long time.

Alignment time is much smaller than any phylogeny calculation on your data size. The number of amino acids is not that important on the final time, as the ML is calculation is quite fast, but arranging the branches is the main bottleneck.

There's no easy solution for this, maybe you can try some other approaches, that won't be as good as ML (Neighbour Joning) and some that might be as good (Bayes) but take some time too.

> With that said, I do have a full distance matrix as one of the outputs from
> a previous script in this script series, in addition to the multiple
> sequence alignment. I have been able to feed the distance matrix into a
> separate clustering algorithm from scikit-learn, and I was able to
> successfully identify six clusters of sequences in there. Hence, I wanted
> to use a phylogenetic tree to confirm what I'm seeing with the clustering
> algorithm - it's basically two separate representations of the same data.

The distance can be used to generate a diagram, I wouldn't call it a phylogenetic tree, but it can give you some ideas. One quick way to check for your tree is to use Neighbour Joining approach, you can try Mega with your alignment file and see, calculations will be faster.

Cheers
Paulo