[Biopython] Request from help

Eric Ma ericmajinglong at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 17:20:14 UTC 2013

Hi Peter and Paulo,

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated! I still have very sparse
knowledge about phylogenies, and especially the run times needed to build
the trees, so any new knowledge is appreciated!

The sequences I'm using are full Influenza A HA protein sequences, so we're
talking about 1700-1750 amino acids being aligned together. The multiple
sequence alignment for 70 sequences doesn't take long - on the order of
minutes on my laptop. It's the "feeding into PhyML" portion that, for some
reason, takes a long time.

With that said, I do have a full distance matrix as one of the outputs from
a previous script in this script series, in addition to the multiple
sequence alignment. I have been able to feed the distance matrix into a
separate clustering algorithm from scikit-learn, and I was able to
successfully identify six clusters of sequences in there. Hence, I wanted
to use a phylogenetic tree to confirm what I'm seeing with the clustering
algorithm - it's basically two separate representations of the same data.

I have heard that it is possible to create a tree from the distance matrix,
and I was thinking this might be an alternative to feeding the alignment
into PhyML. Does anybody know how to do this using BioPython?

Cheers,
Eric
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Do you really
need to print it?

http://about.me/ericmjl