[Biopython] remove list redundancy

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:39:59 UTC 2012

Ferreira,

I just realized I missed one important line:

        if checksum not in checksum_container:
            unique_records.append(record)

should be:

        if checksum not in checksum_container:
            checksum_container.append(checksum)
           unique_records.append(record)

Basically what the method does is it only adds the sequence record to
the unique_records list only if its sequence checksum is not present
in checksum_container already.

And apologies for the double mass-post everyone.

Have a nice weekend,
---
Bow

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 23:23, Wibowo Arindrarto <w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>    return unique_records
>
> I assume your Fasta file is not very big since you opted to load
> everything into memory in your initial script. If it were big, you
> could change the method into a generator to save memory, by writing
> this instead:
>
>    # previous lines...
>    for record in records:
>        checksum = seguid(record.seq)
>        if checksum not in checksum_container:
>            yield record
>
> And iterating over the function like so:
>
>    for unique_record in remove_redundant(fastafile):
>        # process the records here
>

> Hope that helps,
> ---
> Bow
>

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 23:19, Iddo Friedberg <idoerg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Python assigns by reference, not by value. So you can have the following:

>> [1, 2, 3]
>> [1, 3]
>>>>>

>> So if you remove an item from list b, it will remove it from a as well.
>> Which is why in your case, record and new_rec end up the same, since they
>> were the same to start off with.
>>
>> Furthermore, in your loop, you are changing the length of "record" which is
>> the target of a for loop. Never a good idea and yields unexpected results.
>> Finally, the index "j" you are using points to one thing in record, but
>> will point to another thing in new_rec.
>>
>> You can do an assignment by value using the copy module
>> new_rec=copy.copy(record)
>>
>> That will create a completely new copy of record in new_rec.
>>
>> That still won't solve the problem that you have in the shifting place "j"
>> points to in the loop though.
>>
>> I would suggest building a list of non-redundant sequences rather than
>> deleting from a list of redundant sequences.
>>

>> HTH,
>>
>> Iddo
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM, <ferreirafm at usp.br> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Biopy users,
>>> I have a mult-sequence fasta file which I've read as a list. Is there a
>>> clever way/method to remove redundant sequences?
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> ### CODE:
>>>    def redundancy(fastafile):
>>>    f=open(fastafile, 'r')
>>>    record = list(SeqIO.parse(f,"fasta"))
>>>    new_rec = record
>>>    f.close
>>>    print len(record)
>>>    for i in range(len(record)):
>>>        for j in range(len(record)):
>>>            if i < j:
>>>                if record[i].seq == record[j].seq:
>>>                    del new_rec[j]
>>>     print len(new_rec)
>>>

>>> ### RESULTS:
>>> $ redundancy.py -run all_emm_fake.fasta
>>> 823
>>> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-**packages/Bio/Seq.py:197: FutureWarning: In
>>> future comparing Seq objects will use string comparison (not object
>>> comparison). Incompatible alphabets will trigger a warning (not an
>>> exception). In the interim please use id(seq1)==id(seq2) or