[Biopython] remove list redundancy

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:23:13 UTC 2012

Hi Ferreira,

As Iddo have mentioned, it's better to build a new list containing
unique records instead. Here's my shot at a method like that:

from Bio import SeqIO
from Bio.SeqUtils.CheckSum import seguid

# Returns a list containing unique SeqRecord list.
def remove_redundant(fastafile):
    records = SeqIO.parse(fastafile, 'fasta')

    # new list container
    unique_records = []
    # unique sequence checksum container
    checksum_container = []

    for record in records:
        checksum = seguid(record.seq)
        if checksum not in checksum_container:
            unique_records.append(record)

    return unique_records

I assume your Fasta file is not very big since you opted to load
everything into memory in your initial script. If it were big, you
could change the method into a generator to save memory, by writing
this instead:

    # previous lines...
    for record in records:
        checksum = seguid(record.seq)
        if checksum not in checksum_container:
            yield record

And iterating over the function like so:

    for unique_record in remove_redundant(fastafile):
        # process the records here

Hope that helps,
---
Bow