[Biopython] Retieving CEL Files from GEO

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Feb 17 22:51:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM, SHARANYA RAGHUNATH <
sharanya.raghunath at utah.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I understand that there is a way to parse through the GEO data repository
> in Biopython; however, is there a way to download the actual CEL files or
> the SOFT files using a GSE or GDS id?

Hi, Sharanya.

You might take a look at both the GEOquery and GEOmetadb Bioconductor
packages.  I know it is not a biopython solution, but I wanted to make sure
that you were aware of them.  However, where the raw data are available (and
they are not always available), you can simply download them from the NCBI
ftp site:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/

Sean

Disclaimer: I may be slightly biased about the relevance of the above
software packages....