[Biopython] Intro

Dragoslav Zaric zaricdragoslav at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:08:55 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I am new member and I like to send welcome greet to everyone.

I have few newbie questions so please be cooperative :)

1. How can I see biopython version and is there connection between python
version
    and biopython version ?

2. I have installed python 2.6 and biopython 1.55 on ubuntu 9.04 (at least I
think I did :)
    I have same installation on windows machine and everything works fine.
    But for example when I want to use something like this:

    from Bio import SeqIO
    orchid_dict = SeqIO.index("d:\ls_orchid.fasta", "fasta")

    Two problems happens in ubuntu environment:
    first is that SeqIO complains that there is no index method
    second is that everywhere I should put string location of file
    biopython wants handle to file
    The first thing I can think of is maybe I am using old version of
    biopython, which points to question 1.

3. Does somebody have experience with using biopython in django web site ?
    Do I install biopython on web server or I can keep libraries in some
folder and
    load them dynamically in code ?

Kind regards,

Dragoslav Zaric