[Biopython] unusual genetic code

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 14 10:39:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jessica,
>
> Do you have the information for the CodonTable handy? e.g. a list of the
> start codons, and how to translate the 64 codons (including stop codons).
> Given that I could show you how to make the CodonTable object.
>
> Peter

I've done a proof of principle change to Bio.Seq on this branch:
http://github.com/peterjc/biopython/tree/trans-table
specifically this commit:
http://github.com/peterjc/biopython/commit/56a2fd5f92098e9be892eb51f27b08aaa46a19a6

I'm not expecting you to try this code out yet (unless you happen to
know your way round git already). The basic idea is that the Bio.Seq
translate function and the Seq object translate method are extended
so that the table argument can now also be a CodonTable object.

Once we know what your table should look like, I can write a complete
example. Probably Bio.Data.CodonTable will need some more
documentation added...