[Biopython] Phasing out support for Python 2.4?

Martin Mokrejs mmokrejs at ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Thu Jan 14 17:52:13 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,
  I just had troubles with 2.5 to 2.6 move (mailman needed manual patches),
and just envisioned that similarly 2.4 to 2.5 would be a trouble. So, personally
I don't mind but I would prefer clear listings what modules require the
newer features and having an option to skip them during install step them
instead of having to blindly upgrade. Personally I just use Bio.SeqIO and that
is probably all I need. ^H^H^H^H^ and Entrez or PubMed or Efetch stuff, I got
lost in the many biopython deprecations and module renames in the last years.
I use the "latest" but forgot how is it currently named. ;-) ^H^H^H^H^H of
course I know, efetch(). ;-)
  Recently I had for example install some old Solaris 2.6 machine with some
apps and imagine, was glad to have python 2.3 I think with gcc-3.x at all.
Martin