[Biopython] Phasing out support for Python 2.4?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 18:05:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Martin MOKREJŠ
<mmokrejs at fold.natur.cuni.cz> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>  I just had troubles with 2.5 to 2.6 move (mailman needed manual patches),
> and just envisioned that similarly 2.4 to 2.5 would be a trouble. So, personally
> I don't mind but I would prefer clear listings what modules require the
> newer features and having an option to skip them during install step them
> instead of having to blindly upgrade. ...

Its a nice idea in theory, and I can see how it would be useful in some
case. However, it sounds quite complicated to implement, and very
complex to keep up to date and tested properly. I don't think its a good
use of limited developer time.

>  Recently I had for example install some old Solaris 2.6 machine with some
> apps and imagine, was glad to have python 2.3 I think with gcc-3.x at all.
> Martin

I sympathize - although we now have Python 2.6 installed, I think our
cluster head node still has Python 2.3 as the default system Python
(its due for an upgrade, but systems administrators are rightly cautious).