[Biopython] Phasing out support for Python 2.4?

Ivan Rossi ivan at biodec.com
Thu Jan 14 15:41:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Peter wrote:

> Biopython currently supports Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6
> (and seems to work on the current Python 2.7 alpha),
> but it is probably time to start phasing out support for
> Python 2.4.

> We'd aim to follow our usual deprecation procedure,
> so at least two releases and one year before actually
> dropping support for Python 2.4. At that point older
> Linux distributions which ship with Python 2.4
> probably won't be supported anyway.
>
> Is dropping support for Python 2.4 going to cause anyone a problem?

Provided that the deprecation procedure above is followed it will be
fine to us (BioDec). Otherwise it woud have been a problem to plone4bio
(http://plone4bio.org) since Plone3 just runs on python 2.4. However
Plone4, due in less than 6 months, runs on 2.6 and in a year I am
confident that the transition of plone4bio to plone4 will be finished.

On the contrary we will have to live with an older BioPy for some time...

Ivan

--
Ivan Rossi, PhD - ivan AT biodec dot com, ivan dot rossi3 AT unibo dot it
BioDec Srl, Via Calzavecchio 20/2, 40033 Casalecchio di Reno (BO), Italy