[Biopython] Protein side-chain angles from a PDB file

Steve Darnell darnells at dnastar.com
Mon Sep 21 15:03:01 UTC 2009

Rodrigo,

This is just to expand on Peter's comment.  Your original question implicitly mentioned two types of angles: bond and dihedral angles.  A bond angle can be calculated with three atoms, two vectors, and a dot product (the first type mentioned).  When you use the term phi and psi angles, you are mentioning dihedral (or torsion) angles (the angle betweeen two planes where the intersection is along the bond of interest).  It's more complicated to calculate, but relatively straight forward:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral_angle

Were you originally asking about how to calculate the torsion angles in the side chain?  These are known as the chi angles and are used for defining rotational conformations (rotomers).  I'll stop here since I'm guessing I misunderstood your original question.

Regards,
Steve

--
Steve Darnell