[Biopython] Biopython and Snow Leopard

Kelly F Oakeson kelly.oakeson at utah.edu
Wed Sep 9 15:46:02 UTC 2009

Peter,
I installed the 10.4 SDK and tried the install again. It still failed,
here is the output:

$ sudo python setup.py install
Password:
running install

Numerical Python (NumPy) is not installed.

This package is required for many Biopython features.  Please install
it before you install Biopython. You can install Biopython anyway, but
anything dependent on NumPy will not work. If you do this, and later
install NumPy, you should then re-install Biopython.

You can find NumPy at http://numpy.scipy.org

Do you want to continue this installation? (y/N)  Y
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'Bio.clistfns' extension
gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -
fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5 -c Bio/
clistfnsmodule.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.3-x86_64-2.5/Bio/
clistfnsmodule.o
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//cc6kttGl.out

$ arch
i386

I do have the 64 bit kernel enabled, could that be causing the issue?

Kelly Oakeson
kelly.oakeson at utah.edu