[Biopython] Phylogenetic trees with biopython?

Paulo Nuin nuin at genedrift.org
Wed Sep 2 02:46:48 UTC 2009

ClustalW trees are extremely "simple" and only can be generated with
Neighbour Joining. Also they are not based on the final sequence
alignment created by the program but as a guide for the alignment
itself. They have a huge probability of being "wrong" or not
representing the actual relationships. It will heavily depend on the
the type, distance and differences among the sequences you are using.

Do you need trees for what?

Paulo