[Biopython] Phylogenetic trees with biopython?

David Winter winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz
Tue Sep 1 22:38:04 UTC 2009

> David - I would prefer we also put your new wrappers in
> Bio.Emboss.Applications, and would be happy to look at adding
> those to CVS now that Biopython 1.51 is out (I had forgotten
> about them actually - so thanks for the reminder).
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

I'd almost forgotten about them myself! I only put them in their own
module because I had the PhyML wrapper as well and that's not an
EMBOSS application.

  I suspect a wrapper for PhyML is probably not going to be widely
useful (a normal run lasts at least several hours and most people will
want to look over their alignments by eye before they set it off). So
I'll move the phylip ones into Emboss.Applications and gather a few
thoughts about other phylogenetic software including PhyML and see
what the dev list thinks about them.

david