[Biopython] Windows installer does not find Python 2.63 with multiple pythons

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 21:29:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Mike Lisanke <mikelisanke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had Python 3.0 installed prior to attempting a bio-python install. I
> installed Python 2.6 to its own directory, and a proper registry entry was
> made in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python, however;
> the bio-python can not find the Python 2.6 install. Is there a problem
> having multiple python installs? Thanks.

On my Windows machine I have Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 all co-existing
fine (and I used to have 2.3 as well). These were all default installs to
C:\Python26 etc, and I didn't have to do anything funny to the registry.
I can try and remember to check the registry settings on my machine
if you like... but for now I can only suggest you might try uninstalling
Python 2.6, perhaps clean the registry, and then reinstall Python 2.6.

Peter

P.S.

I haven't tried putting Python 3.0 on my Windows machine (not that
I would bother, I would go straight to Python 3.1 now that it is out).