[Biopython] ExPASy.get_sprot_raw giving a FASTA record instead of a Swiss-Prot/UniprotKB record?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 16 10:23:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> P.S. Perhaps we should also update our URLs, but that
> won't help people using the current version of Biopython.

I checked the ExPASy page http://www.expasy.ch/expasy_urls.html
then updated our code to use the currently recommended URL,
http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/XXX.txt instead of the old URL,
http://www.expasy.ch/cgi-bin/get-sprot-raw.pl?XXX

If anyone is curious about the details, see:
http://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/6689bf8657d9515965d63f9c77e6348233472046

This means the next release of Biopython will not depend on the
old ExPASy URL, but it would still be ideal if ExPASy/Uniprot
could fix that for the benefit of users of older versions of Biopython
and other scripts. Did you try and contact them about this yet?

Thanks,