[Biopython] ExPASy.get_sprot_raw giving a FASTA record instead of a Swiss-Prot/UniprotKB record?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 23:43:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM, ANGEL VILLAHOZ-BALETA
<villahozbale at wisc.edu> wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I am using Biopython 1.5.1 and it seems that I have met with
> a strange situation... When using ExPASy.get_sprot_raw, it
> gives me a FASTA record instead of a Swiss-Prot/UniProtKB
> record...
>
> Anyone has met the same situation?

I hadn't tried this recently, but you are right. It looks like
ExPASy/UniProt have broken this :(

The URL which Biopython requests is:
http://www.expasy.ch/cgi-bin/get-sprot-raw.pl?O23729

You can check via a tool like wget that this is now
being redirected to a URL giving the FASTA file:
http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/O23729.fasta

Please contact ExPASy/uniprot to alert them that they
have broken this old URL redirection, and ask them nicely
to fix it to point here in order to get the swiss format:
http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/O23729.txt

Thanks!

Peter

P.S. Perhaps we should also update our URLs, but that
won't help people using the current version of Biopython.