[BioPython] How can I draw genome comparison figure to publish?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 12:51:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:02 PM, mgenome <mgenome at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... I examined several programs, but I didn't find the program good enough
> to use for publication.
> ACT (Artemics) can draw comparison figure but it can not show ORFs well.
> inGeno is the program close to what I want. But It cannot compare multiple
> genomes and I want to draw ORF as arrows. I know GenomeDaigrams in
> python do not support comparison of ORFs in genomic level.

Based on your description, I was going to suggest ACT (Artemics), but
you have already considered this.

GenomeDiagram has been integrated into Biopython and will be part of
Biopython 1.50, and as part of this work it does now support drawing
features (e.g. ORFs) as simple arrows.  GenomeDiagram is very good at
comparative genomics plots - but not the kind you are interested in.
It wouldn't be very elegant, but you might be able to use
GenomeDiagram to draw two linear genome diagrams, and then combine
this and add the comparison lines on yourself with extra code using
ReportLab directly.  This would probably be quite a lot of work...