[Biopython] Deprecating psycopg (version 1) in BioSQL

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 12:29:26 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Currently Biopython's BioSQL code works with (all?) three python
libraries for PostgreSQL,

* pgdb (aka PyGreSQL, last updated Jan 2009, v4.0)
* psycopg (last updated September 2005, v1.1.21)
* psycopg2 (last updated May 2009, v2.0.11)

See http://www.pygresql.org/ and
http://initd.org/pub/software/psycopg/ for details.

In order to simplify our code and testing, Cymon and I would like to
drop support for Psycopg version 1 (while continuing to support its
replacement, psycopg2, and the alternative package pgdb).

Are there any objections to deprecating support for Psycopg version 1
with BioSQL in the next release of Biopython?

Thanks,