[BioPython] Remove biopython 1.45

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 11:37:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Rodrigo faccioli
<rodrigo_faccioli at uol.com.br> wrote:
> I want to know, how can I remove the biopython 1.45 in my machine. I
> installed the last version (1.49) from biopython website.
>
> I read http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/install/Installation.html and I didn't
> find anything about uninstall.

If you installed an old version of Biopython using your Linux
distribution's package manager, you should ideally have un-installed
it first via the package manager.

Installing from any python package from source will just over-write
any existing installation (if there is one in already there in the
same place).  As far as I know, this is just the way that distutils
works (the standard python installation package).

While easy install may be popular, it is not (yet) the official python
tool for package installation.

To manually remove Biopython (e.g. to make a clean install), locate
and remove the relevent directories (and if present, egg files) under
your python site-package directory, e.g.

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Bio
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/BioSQL
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Martel

[These paths will depend on your OS, your version of python, and also
can differ if you choose to install Biopython in a non-default
directory, such as under your home folder]