[BioPython] Remove biopython 1.45

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:05:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Rodrigo faccioli
<rodrigo_faccioli at uol.com.br> wrote:
> I want to know, how can I remove the biopython 1.45 in my machine. I
> installed the last version (1.49) from biopython website.
>
> I read http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/install/Installation.html and I didn't
> find anything about uninstall.

In the future, I suggest you to always install/upgrade biopython via
easy_install.

Executing this from a command line:
$: easy_install -U biopython

is the easiest way to install and upgrade biopython along with all its
dependencies.
As for your problem, it should be enough to delete the folder where
you have installed biopython 1.45 (please someone correct me if I am
wrong).

It seems that manually installing biopython using the instructions you
posted puts all the scripts in the same directory; in my case (I am
running an Ubuntu), it installed everything on
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Bio .
So basically, the manual installation you did has overwritten the old
biopython you had installed on your computer... so you don't need to
do anything to remove it.
I suggest you to always use easy_install to install new python
modules, as it is supposed to be the standard way and it creates a
distinct directory for every module and every version.

p.s. more info on easy_install:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it