[Biopython] suggestion: moving to the discussion list to Google groups

Giles Weaver giles.weaver at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 17 13:25:18 UTC 2009

I urge extreme caution with regards to using Google Groups.
My experiences with Google Groups have been less than satisfactory. I've
administered several small groups and they have been plagued with
delivery issues for a small subset of users. I've also known members to
be unable to access a group that they are a member of, and find that
Google Groups has "disappeared" their profile - despite having an
otherwise fully functioning Google account (Gmail etc).

I'm not a fan of mailman, but at least the open-bio administrators have
full control over the lists. I've known Chris to solve issues with the
bioperl mailman list within minutes. You won't get that kind of service
(if any) from Google.

Having looked at alternatives to Google Groups myself, the two things
that have caught my attention are bbPress (a wordpress derived bulletin
board) and Google Wave. Both are still under development.
bbPress <http://bbpress.org/> boards can be subscribed to via RSS (and
possibly email), so users can have messages drop into their mail/news
reader.
Wave looks promising, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole until
mature Google free implementations take off, and that could be some time
away.

Mirroring the open-bio mailman lists onto Google Groups seems to me the
right way to go, but I think there should be a health warning on the
list home pages!

Giles