[BioPython] Biopython 1.48 Still using Numeric!?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Sep 21 22:26:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Bryan Lunt <lunt at ctbp.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Greetings,
> It seems that v1.48 still uses Numeric, and not Numpy?

Yes, that is true.  See below...

> The last time I installed biopython (v1.47) I was able to use the
> migration tools included with numpy, plus some manual judgement and
> search/replace to migrate the code.
> It seemed like the tests worked after that, but maybe there was
> something I missed?
>
> Obviously it must be a huge job, or someone would have done it by now.
> (Which I suppose supports the "something I missed" hypothesis...)

I'm guessing you missed the earlier emails on this list - we are in
the process of moving from Numeric to numpy for the next release.
This is non-trivial due to Biopython having C code using Numeric.

If you are brave, you could checkout the latest code from CVS and see
how that works for you?