[BioPython] ClustalW Multiple Alignment

David Moreira david.moreira at u-psud.fr
Mon Nov 24 14:24:59 UTC 2008

Dear Stefanie,

For a similar case, what I do is to use first BLAST to know the
orientation of the sequence. I have a small sequence data base with
sequences in the good orientation and I BLAST against it, BLAST tells
you whether the retrieved result is "plus/plus" or "minus/plus", i.e.,
whether your query was in the same or different orientation. You have
just to parse the BLAST output to retrieve that information. BLAST is
extremely rapid, so you can retrieve the orientation of hundreds of
sequences in a few minutes. Then, you can reverse-complement the
sequences in "minus" orientation and construct your multiple sequence
alignment. It is very easy to have a single script doing all the work.

David

Stefanie Lu"ck a e'crit :