[BioPython] [bip] proposal: Bio-Django project

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:10:50 UTC 2008

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio wrote:
> Hi,
> Recently I have been using Django[1], a python web framework that
> enables programmers to quickly create front-ends and web applications
> for databases.
>
> I think it is very cool. In a few minutes, I have been able to create
> a database for my data, and thanks to the admin application I have a
> nice and well-developed front-end to browse and manage it.
> I am still looking at it, but I see there are many applications freely
> available, so maybe I will be easily be able to create graphs and
> diagrams of my data when I will look better at it.
>
> My idea is: Why don't we create a repository of free/bioinfo apps for
> django, like biopython is? Has any of you already used django for
> bioinformatics purposes?
>
> For example, I am writing an app to manage blood samples for the
> laboratory where I am working on at the moment, and I will be glad to
> share it with other people.
>
> What do you think?
>

> [1] http://www.djangoproject.com/

Sure there are many Python-based model-viewer-control (MVC) frameworks
(Django is just one of them) BUT what exactly do you propose to do?
In particular, how will it differ from plone4bio
(http://www.plone4bio.org ) that was announced on BioPython by

Ivan Rossi back in February?

Do you plan something as extensive as the Biology Workbench or Next Generation Biology Workbench?
Or something like Geneious (http://www.geneious.com/)?
Or just a simple interface to BioPython or similar bioinformstics tools?

Regards
Bruce