[BioPython] proposal: Bio-Django project

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 14:35:28 UTC 2008

Hi,
Recently I have been using Django[1], a python web framework that
enables programmers to quickly create front-ends and web applications
for databases.

I think it is very cool. In a few minutes, I have been able to create
a database for my data, and thanks to the admin application I have a
nice and well-developed front-end to browse and manage it.
I am still looking at it, but I see there are many applications freely
available, so maybe I will be easily be able to create graphs and
diagrams of my data when I will look better at it.

My idea is: Why don't we create a repository of free/bioinfo apps for
django, like biopython is? Has any of you already used django for
bioinformatics purposes?

For example, I am writing an app to manage blood samples for the
laboratory where I am working on at the moment, and I will be glad to
share it with other people.

What do you think?

[1] http://www.djangoproject.com/