[BioPython] FormatConverter: from Fasta format to ClustalW format

Lee,Byung-chul lee.byung-chul at kaist.ac.kr
Wed Jan 2 13:44:47 UTC 2008

Thank you very much for your kind reply, Peter.

As your explanation, I tried to use SeqIO, but another error occured
I did it like below:

-----------------
from Bio import SeqIO
from Bio.Align import AlignInfo
alignment = SeqIO.to_alignment(SeqIO.parse(open('tmp.fasta'), "fasta"))
summary_align = AlignInfo.SummaryInfo(alignment)
print summary_align.dumb_consensus()
--------------------
but the results are
-----------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tmp.py", line 16, in <module>
    print summary_align.dumb_consensus()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Bio/Align/AlignInfo.py", line 111, in dumb_consensus
    consensus_alpha = self._guess_consensus_alphabet()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Bio/Align/AlignInfo.py", line 189, in _guess_consensus_alphabet
    ("Non-gapped alphabet found in alignment object.")
ValueError: Non-gapped alphabet found in alignment object.
---------------------
In addition, all sequences have the same lenghth in my tmp.fasta file.
-----
>seq2
DAC
>seq3
DC-
>seq1
DAD
>seq4
DDD

Is this problem caused by the Biopython/Martel and mxTextTools vesions?
I am using biopython 1.43-2 (ubuntu version) and mxtexttools 3.0.0-2ubuntu1.

What should I do for this? Thanks.

Byung chul.