[BioPython] will BioSQL work with psycopg2?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 21:09:33 UTC 2008

2008/12/1 Cymon Cox wrote:
> 2008/12/1 Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Alex Lancaster wrote:
>> > Currently I have a dependency on psycopg (version 1.1.21) but since
>> > that is so old pyscopg won't rebuild against the new mx, meaning that
>> > I can't rebuild Biopython because the dependencies aren't there.
>> >
>> > So my question is, will the Biopython BioSQL work with the newer
>> > psycopg2 (currently version 2.0.8)?  See:
>> > http://www.initd.org/pub/software/psycopg/
>>
>> Yes, psycopg2 should work with Biopython 1.49 onwards (including
>> Biopython 1.49 beta) thanks to a patch from Cymon Cox, see Bug 2616:
>
> To confirm: I'm currently using psycopg2 vers. 2.0.8
>
>> > Does it require the 1.x API or will it work with 2.x?  The BioSQL page:
>> > http://biopython.org/wiki/BioSQL
>> > isn't clear on this.
>>
>> I'm not sure, having not used psycopg or psycopg2 myself.  Hopefully
>> Cymon can clarify this (CC'd).
>
> Sorry, but I'm not sure what the question is here...

On reflection, I think Alex was asking if Biopython's BioSQL interface
would work with or require psycopg 1.x or psycopg 2.x - and the answer
to that is as of Biopython 1.49 we support either (but don't require
either - you could use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL for example).
Older versions of Biopython don't support psycopg 2.x.