[BioPython] Error for installation of mxTextTools on Mac OS X

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 12:27:17 UTC 2007

Y Tu wrote:
> I'm a newbie for the Biopython, and want to install it on my Mac OS X
> computer. I got the similar error messages on command line when
> install Python2.5, but finally I did that using the
> python-2.5.1-macosx.dmg. When I tried to install mxTextTools and got
> the following messages: mxDateTime.c is missing. Where to find the
> file? Please help me to solve the problem and thank you very much.

It sounds like you don't want to use the default Apple provided python -
I have the impression that this can make life more complicated.  I'm not
a Mac user, but Michiel, is and he may be able to help.  He has been
away recently but should be back soon.

In terms of installing mxTextTools, you may get more support on the
egenix mailing list.  However, there are currently some issues with
Biopython and egenix mxTextTools 3.0, so if you can find it I would
suggest using version 2.0 instead.

We hope to release Biopython 1.44 in October, which will address most of
the mxTextText tools issues.  That said, the majority of Biopython 1.43
will still work even with mxTextTools 3.0