[BioPython] Code publications

Tiago Antao tiagoantao at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 16:59:56 UTC 2007

I am currently submitting my populations genetics' code into biopython
and I can talk about my motivations.

Most of the code that I am submitting was used in something that I have
done in the past (sometimes published). I figured, that if I have the
code sitting here, I could as well donate it. This has one interesting
advantage for me: all the code that I know I will try to submit to
biopython is designed with care, all the code that is a one off is
really a big mess. For me making code public is a motivator to maintain
clean code.

It is also a way to get to know people that are interested in this type
of problems, and I think that, as with all things in life, knowing more
people is a good thing.

Maybe, in 12/18 months time I might think in suggesting to other people
writing an article on the popgen work in biopython. Lets face it, that
is also a good motivator. But, if it is the only one, I would agree that
is not good (as Chris says, maintenance after publication...)

Last, but not least: ethical and moral issues. Having spent some time
outside of science I do think most scientific work is done in a very
closed fashion (it was a shock to me, really). From my personal point of
view open science and free software are arguments to which I connect
moral value.

Tiago