[BioPython] Code publications

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 10 14:14:48 UTC 2007

This is a question that could be posed for any open-source project.

It differs per person in my opinion.  For instance, I donate time and
code to BioPerl based on several factors.  Not reinventing the wheel,
giving back to the community, access to the code base, and the joy of
programming (believe it or not) are among them, but they aren't the
only ones.

Publications don't hurt but they aren't my primary motivation.  It
generally isn't the focus of my research, only a means to an end (to
parse or generate data).  I don't see anything wrong with it being
someone else's primary drive to donate as long as they continue
support their code post-publication, an issue that unfortunately pops
up quite frequently.

chris