[BioPython] BLAST SNP access?

Zachary Zhipeng Sun zsun at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 22 05:01:44 UTC 2007

Thanks for the replies! Regarding a BLAST SNP search, it uses the blastn or
tblastn interface; put in query at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_blastByOrg.cgi, choose db, and result
interface is similar to other BLAST components. (sample RID
1174538798-721-146214187572.BLASTQ2 for sample output), except that in the
title of hits it shows an rs# which links to dbSNP. I'd imagine the search
options would be different, as well as a little bit of parsing the output,
but it uses the same engine as blastn.

Regarding the URLAPI then: sorry, I'm pretty new to biopython, but is the
qblast search feature in the current biopython 1.43 build based on commands
to the NCBI URLAPI? If so, then (from someone with moderate experience in
coding but little in python or perl) would I be able to painlessly modify
the biopython NCBIWWW.py code for my own use?

-Zach