[BioPython] My SeqIO doesn't have a "parse" method!

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 21:01:50 UTC 2007

Italo Maia wrote:
> I'm confused! Shouldn't SeqIO have a "parse" method??
> My ubuntu biopython doesn't. Is this correct?

You need Biopython 1.43 or later to use the new Bio.SeqIO code.
http://biopython.org/wiki/SeqIO

Which version of Ubuntu do you have? At the moment, only new un-released
Ubuntu Gutsy has the latest version of Biopython in the repositories:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/source/python-biopython

The good news is that is should be simple to install Biopython from
source on Ubuntu - provided you install all the dependencies first! I
personally still use Ubuntu Dapper Drake on my Linux machine.